Monday 19 December 2011

Sculpture Workshop

Sculpture Workshop

Initial idea






Practise Model, constructed from Clay




In order to experiment with the idea of my drawing, of the marching figures. I wanted to bring the characters of the subject matter to life. I felt by been able to make a sculpture from my drawing, I could capture more of the personality of the people in the image. I undertook the sculpture workshop, with the two initial ideas above. I wanted to create three figures in Bronze, set on a marble platform.

To practise constructing in clay, I practised by creating one of the figures from my 'Marching to Mars' drawing. I created an armature, in order to build my sculpture around. Using an MDF sheet, I drilled and secured wires into the base, to act as a framework to build the clay around. I then roughly placed chunks of clay around the wires in order to build an outline of a figure, I then took away the clay, with small sculpting knifes, in order to add more detail, and form the shape of the figure. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of creating the figure, and would like to create the full sculpture of 'Marching to Mars', using the same process.

No comments:

Post a Comment